The house is a wreck and friends call to say they'll dropping by within 15 minutes. Here's how to feel a little more presentable.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Grab your laundry basket, a plastic trash bag, and a damp cloth.
- If your kids are old enough to help, have them follow you. If not, send them to a far off room to play.
- Start in your family room and fill basket with all clutter including shoes, clothes, magazines, dirty cups, etc.
- Put any trash into trash bag.
- Use damp cloth to wipe any obvious sticky spots off surfaces.
- Go to powder room. Check that toilet is flushed.
- If wastebasket is full, empty into trash bag.
- Go to kitchen. Clear all dirty dishes, glasses, and utensils into sink.
- Tidy papers into piles.
- Put clutter into basket, trash into trash bag.
- Wipe off sticky or crummy surfaces.
- Dim lights, or lower shades in any very bright rooms to hide dust.
- Go to any other rooms along traffic path to family room and kitchen. Follow above procedure as time allows.
- Put laundry basket, trash bag and dirty cloth into unused room and close door.
- Check hair, straighten clothes and put on a smile.
- Remember there is only so much you can do. The point is to make your home reasonably comfortable for you and your guests.
- Once you've done all you can accomplish, let it go and relax.
- The most important thing is to make your guests feel welcome, no matter what your house looks like.