A Fun, Frugal Party Idea:
A fun party doesn't have to use up your monthly budget. You can have fun while entertaining friends, as long as you remember that the point of entertaining is to have fun and entertain your friends!
Along with being a fun and frugal party, a dessert party can be one of the easiest parties you can host. Since you're only having one course, it limits the amount of planning and preparing you need to do and, since most of these recipes can be prepared in advance, it's the perfect party after a busy day of work or chauffeuring the kids. Plus, who doesn't look forward to an excuse for dessert?
Choose any one or all of these ideas, depending on what you have around your home, to give your table a coffee house ambience:
Place a closed laptop in the center of your table and pile it with current paperbacks or magazines you have in your home. It's not that your guests will be reading them, but they may provoke conversation.
Put a deck of trivia cards on the table so that guests can quiz one another.
A checker board or scrabble board in the center of your table may inspire a game in addition to adding ambience.
A deck of tarot or other fortune telling cards will encourage mystical guests to try their hand at reading one another's fortunes. Who knows? Maybe you'll find out who will host the next party among your circle of friends!
- Cinnamon Biscuit Mix Puffs - These easy biscuits come together quickly, but be sure to serve them warm.
- Streusel Coffee Cake - A perennial favorite accompaniment to a strong cup of coffee.
- Strawberries served with a bowl of cinnamon sugar for dipping, and a bowl of fresh whipped cream for dolloping.
- Milanese Biscotti - This simple recipe makes a lemon-y cookie.
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies - This easy recipe will make much more than you need for your party, but consider it your reward!
- Basic Fruit Sorbet - Pick your favorite flavor, or choose the best fruit in season to lower your expense.
- Chocolatini - A chocolate martini adds just enough adult sophistication while keeping to the sweet theme of your party.
- Espresso - If you have the equipment, serve shots of espresso alongside these desserts.
- Coffee and Tea - Brew a pot of coffee, and boil a kettle of water. Offer two of your favorite tea choices to your guests.
Total Estimated Cost for 8 People - $55.87:
Cinnamon Biscuit Mix Puffs - $2.62
Streusel Coffee Cake - $4.00
2 Pints Strawberries plus 1 cup cream whipped with 2 tablespoons sugar - $7.00
Milanese Biscotti - $3.20
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies - $3.80
Lemon Fruit Sorbet - $2.30
Chocolatini - $18.95
Espresso - 1 can El Pico - $3.21
Coffee - 1 can Chock Full 'O Nuts - $3.50
Tea - 2 packages tea bags - $6.00
Half and Half, 1 pint - $1.29