Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 24 stuffed mushrooms
- 2 dozen fresh, large, button mushrooms
- 5 slices white sandwich bread, ends trimmed and save for another use
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water plus more, if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to drizzle
Clean mushrooms by rubbing with a damp paper towel. Trim stems, then break off stems, chop, and put in medium bowl. Place mushroom caps in baking dish.
Tear up bread slices into 1-inch pieces and add to chopped mushroom stems in bowl.
Add garlic, parsley, Romano cheese, olive oil and water to bowl and mix well. When done mixing, you'll want the bread to be evenly moistened and well combined with other ingredients. If the mixture doesn't hold together, slowly add more water, but be careful not to make the bread soggy or pasty.
Fill mushroom caps with bread mixture. There may be some of the filling left over, depending on the size of your mushroom caps. If so, reserve for another use. Once all of the caps have been filled, drizzle the last 2 tablespoons of oil over them all.
Bake uncovered for 30 - 35 minutes until filling is hot and mushrooms begin to soften and release liquid.