Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
Yield: 10 scones
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) butter, at room temperature plus extra for greasing
- 250g (9 oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) milk
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) Brie, cut into small pieces
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) walnuts, broken into pieces
- a little egg and/or milk, for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C/fan 200 degrees C/ gas mark 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter.
2. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together. Using your fingers, crumble the butter into the mixture until it is evenly distributed, then (still using your hands) gently fold in the milk and egg. The key to this recipe is not to mix too much, as mixing will take the air out. Once everything has bound together, separate the mixture into 10 small balls, and place these on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Divide the Brie and walnut pieces between the scones and press them gently into the top of the dough to embed them. Glaze with egg, milk or a mixture of both.
4. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.