Setting the Stage
By its very nature, a soup party is a relaxed get together. A casual table is all you really need to set with placemats, large soup bowls, a small plate for bread and salad, forks, knives and soup spoons, and beverage glasses. A simple, seasonal floral arrangment would be nice, but a big basket of bread in the center of your table would be just as attractive.
Planning the MenuWhen choosing your menu, you can make this party interesting with a few different soup selections, possibly two or three. Remember, the intention is not to make this difficult for yourself, merely fun and tasty for your guests. Choose recipes from a few different cuisines and you can make this an international soup tasting party!
By all means purchase fresh loaves of bread to accompany this meal, but if you're feeling a little ambitious and own a bread machine, break it out for this party since it only takes ten minutes to toss the ingredients together for a home-baked loaf of bread. Finally, add a mixed salad to the menu, and make your own vinaigrette. It may take five extra minutes, but if you've never tried it, you'll be surprised by how easy it is to make, and how much better it tastes than most bottled dressings.
Soups for Thought
- Ribollita, Italian Bread Soup - This recipe should be made a day in advance for maximum flavor.
- Minestrone - This classic Italian vegetable soup lets you personalize it to your own tastes.
- Onion Soup - Seemingly decadent, this is an inexpensive classic that many will enjoy the opportunity to savor.
- Kotosoupa Avgolemono, Greek Chicken and Rice Soup with Egg and Lemon - Light, yet satisfying, this Greek variation on chicken soup is delicious.
- Corn Chowder with Bacon - For the heartier appetites in your group, there's nothing like a dish with bacon.
- Egg Drop Soup - This one brings me back to my childhood as it was one of the first Chinese food dishes I enjoyed as a kid.
Tom Yum Kung, Thai Spicy Soup - As long as you can find the specialty ingredients for this soup, it's really pretty easy to make and the result is a complex blend of flavors.
Gazpacho, Andalusian Cold Tomato Soup - This soup is a refreshing, healthful change, and would be welcome by anyone who's feeling a bit overindulged.
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup - A favorite of old and young, no list of soup options would be complete without a Chicken Noodle Soup recipe.
Add a Salad
Simple Green Salad with a Honey Mustard Dressing - Serving a salad has become a lot easier in recent years with all of the prewashed and bagged mixes found in most supermarkets. So why not attempt your own salad dressing with the extra time you've been saved?
Remember the Bread
Chocolate Brownies - Keep dessert as easy as the rest of the meal.