This recipe for the classic fondue recipe comes to us courtesy of Cheeses from Switzerland. (Serves 4)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 lb grated Emmentaller
- 1/2 lb grated Le Gruyere
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp flour
- pepper and nutmeg to taste
- 2 loaves Italian or French bread cut into 1" cubes with crust on one side
- Combine Emmentaler and Le Gruyere and sprinkle with flour (this can be done in a plastic bag).
- Rub inside of fondue pot with cut garlic clove.
- Pour wine into pot and heat over medium heat until warm, not boiling!
- Add lemon juice.
- Add cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until melted and cheese-wine mixture has the consistency of a creamy sauce.
- Add pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Let boil once.
- Remove pot and put on lighted burner on table. Adjust flame of burner so fondue continues bubbling lightly.
- Serve each guest a handful of bread cubes.
- Spear fondue fork through bread cubes. Dunk and stir well to bottom of pot. Enjoy!