The Bottom Line
This is an excellent compendium of classic, homestyle desserts.
- Clear, simple instructions.
- Each recipe is accompanied by a beautiful photograph.
- Wonderful variety of dessert possibilities.
- None found.
- Six categories including cookies, small cakes, cakes, desserts, hot puddings, pies and tarts.
- An enticing color photo for each recipe.
- 8 x 12 paperback format.
- Illustrated how to's for recipes that require a little more technique.
- There's a glossary of basic tools and ingredients.
- There's an explanation of basic techniques along with handy problem-solving tips.
- Very stylish presentation of what is essentially a cookbook of traditional recipes.
Guide Review - Modern Classics Book 2 by Donna Hay
This book gives me yet another reason to be a huge fan of Australian food stylist and author Donna Hay. She makes even the homeliest of desserts look like something you absolutely, MUST whip up immediately. Old-fashioned treats become new (such as Apricot Upside-Down Cake), and newer dessets become classic as in the Chocolate Truffle Cake. While you won't find many recipes that could be considered a sexy new concoction, you'll find them all to be highly seductive. I dare you to purchase this book and not place it readily at hand in your kitchen.