Despite their name, tea sandwiches fit the menu whenever you're looking for something a little lighter to serve and easier to eat. If your guests will be dressed for a special party, they probably won't want to attempt a big, drippy meatball hero. With tea sandwiches you provide them with something easier to manage in dressy clothing. Some of the possible occasions are cocktail parties, bridal showers, baby showers, new member parties, or birthday parties.
When you plan your tea sandwich menu, let your imagination run wild. As much as the traditional white bread, cucumber sandwiches are still popular, any kind of bread and filling is possible. Think of your favorite fillings and simply scale them back to a more delicate package. Here's an assortment of ideas to get you started.
Before You Begin:
A thin coating of butter will keep the bread from getting soggy. It's important to use good quality bread to help maximize the flavor and texture of each bite. The bread should be thinly sliced, ends trimmed, and cut into small pieces, generally no larger than a two-bite size.
- Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches
- Cucumber and Cream Cheese Tea Sandwich
- Classic Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
- Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches
- Tuna Salad Tea Sandwiches with Capers
- Watercress and Goat Cheese Tea Sandwiches
- Tuna Salad and Celery Tea Sandwich
- Cucumber Mint Tea Sandwiches
- Tea Sandwiches with Prosciutto, Asparagus and Boursin Cheese
- Chicken Pate Tea Sandwiches
- Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
- Prosciutto and Port Fig Butter
- Hummus Tea Sandwich
- Asparagus Logs
- Cucumber Tea Sandwiches with Mint Mayonnaise
- Pineapple Nut Tea Sandwiches
- Watercress Olive Tea Sandwiches
- Foccacia Finger Sandwiches
- Herbed Vidalia Onion Minted Radish Cheese Sandwich with Lemon Mayonnaise
- Roseville Tea Sandwiches - a combination of cucumbers, smoked salmon, horseradish, and herbs.
- Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches - uses ginger-cilantro lime butter for an interesting twist.
If you'd like to find more of Donna Pilato's advice on hosting parties and entertaining friends and family you can visit her at The Delicious Dozen.