One of the keys to successful entertaining is being well organized. Arm yourself with a well-thought-out shopping list before you hit the stores.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Assemble all the recipes you will be preparing.
- Sit down with notepad and pencil.
- Label the first page of notepad Master List.
- Go through each recipe and write on the Master List all the ingredients that you will need to purchase.
- Write down on Master List all the beverages you will need to buy that are available in supermarket.
- Write down party goods that you need to purchase on Master List if they are available in supermarket.
- If party goods are not available in supermarket, write them on a separate sheet of paper.
- Write down flowers or centerpiece supplies that you need to purchase on Master List, if available in supermarket. Write them on a separate sheet of paper if they will require a trip to a different store.
- Take out another sheet of paper and label it Last Minute Purchases.
- Review Master List for ingredients that will need to be purchased at the last minute, such as fresh produce or a special dessert. Write these items on Last Minute Purchases list.
- Cross off last minute items from Master List.
- Schedule a day (or days) on your Party Timetable to go shopping for the items on your lists.
- Make a separate list for each store you will need to shop in.
- When you've completed this process, your Master List will be the items you can purchase in advance. You will also have a Last Minute List. You may possibly have lists for the liquor store, party store and florist.