It's an occasion worthy of your best china, crystal and silver. But where do all the pieces go? This simple how to will provide your road map to creating a formal place setting.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Place the service plate on the table directly in front of where guest will be sitting.
- Locate the bread and butter plate at the 10:00 position in relation to dinner plate.
- The butter knife should be placed on the bread and butter plate in a slight diagonal, pointing to the 11:00 position.
- Place water glass at 1:00 position relative to dinner plate and just above knives.
- Put red or white wine glass just below and to right of water glass.
- Set champagne glass above and to right of red or white wine glass. Finally, set sherry glass to the right of red or white wine glass.
- Put dessert spoon above dinner plate in a horizontal position
- Place dessert fork above dessert spoon, facing in opposite direction.
- Dinner knife should be located to the right of dinner plate.
- Place fish knife to the right of dinner knife.
- Put soup spoon and the fruit spoon (if used) to the right of dinner knife.
- If serving shellfish, oyster fork should be located to the right of soup spoon and/or fruit spoon.
- Place salad fork to the left of dinner plate. Put dinner fork next to salad fork.
- Place fish fork to the left of the dinner fork.
- Place napkin to the left of all forks.
- For less formal dinners, remove unnecessary pieces such as fish forks and knives and extraneous wine glasses.